Wednesday 8 February 2012

Machine Production Techniques - Lesson Thirteen

The last week before a well deserved break, so I am trying to do as much as possible. The focus of today's lesson was to make the jigs for all my stretchers and rails, and then shape them on the overhead router. To make the jigs I first used designs from my CAD drawings, and then used the laser cutter to cut them out of MDF.

Above: Designs for Laser cutter (Blue = cut, Yellow = Engrave) 
Once I'd cut the jigs out with the laser cutter, I fitted pieces of scrap wood to act as stop, to give a physical stopping location, so it wouldn't move whilst on the overhead router. I then took each piece in turn and screwed them to each jig, MAKING SURE ALL SCREWS WERE COUNTERSUNK!, otherwise it would scratch the bed of the machine.

To use the overhead router you simply raise and lower a router bit, taking about 1-2mm off each time. To use it with the jig you put a pin into the bed of the machine, and then the jig will follow this and shape your wood. The only thing that is crucial is that the pin is the same size as the router bit, otherwise it will either take too much off, or not enough.

Above: Guide pin for overhead router
Above: Overhead router and jig
The only problem I had in today's lesson was that the router bits were not long enough to cut all the way through one piece, so I took as much material off as possible, and then removed the remaining material with the bobbin sander.
Bobbin Sander and piece attached to jig
Lastly after shaping the middle stretcher I cut the mortise and tenon for it to fit into the other stretchers between the legs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.