Thursday 2 February 2012

Machine Production Techniques - Lesson Twelve

The beginning of this lesson was started by seeing how the table will be finally glued and assembled.

  1. Test dry run first
  2. Glue sides first (Rails & Stretchers)
  3. Assemble whole of frame after sides dry
After this I began to shape the table legs using the spindle moulder and a pre-made jig. To shape the legs I first used the template, to draw a pencil line which was the same as the curve. After this, using the band saw, I removed all the material apart from 3mm up to that line. This meant I would have to make fewer passes on the spindle moulder. After this material was removed, I then had to screw the each leg to the jig, and then clamp the wood down. This meant there was no possible way for the wood to move. After passing each piece in front of the cutter at different angles (starting shallow until you are in line with the cutter), it was ready to be taken out of the jig, and the whole process repeated on the other side.

Above: Spindle moulder and jig
After shaping the legs I then used the surface planer to make a face and edge on the stretchers and rails ready for tenoning.

Above: Surace planer
I then asked to be shown how to use the tenoning machine. It is a quite simple machine to use, it has two cutters, one above and one below the piece of wood, and you just set the height with a handle. It also has a hydraulic clamp to hold your work in place. I will upload photos of this shortly.(UPDATED: Images of height adjustment and machine now upload.)

Above: Height adjustment handles and counters
Above: Image of whole machine
 This lesson went really smoothly, and I progressed much further in this lesson then I thought I would, and even learnt how to use two new machines :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.