Thursday 18 April 2013

OUFM203 - Day Twelve

I really wanted to make a full size, test slide, with my own locking mechanism  as I had only made a quick small one out of pine, and so I am not sure whether it is going to function properly.

After laying out all the components to make sure they would fit correctly, I then began looking at the slides. I first thicknessed some spare material to size, and then used the table router, straight bit and a dovetail bit to make the slots that the slides would go through. I first set the fence, and then using the straight bit removed the same distance from all the pieces. I then moved the fence slightly to widen the groove, and keep all the pieces identical. I first used a straight bit to reduce the stress on the dovetail bit, that I then used in similar fashion.

This took a long time to work out correctly, so that's all I managed to get done today.

Above: Components laid out in place

Above: Three pieces with Dovetail Grooves

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.