Sunday 8 April 2012

Design and Prototype - Lesson Three

This week was predominately about getting the measurements correct and then making a scale model. The measurements were the first thing that I got correct, from measuring existing chairs, using my clients anthropometric data and also data that I found online.

Online Data

Measuring existing Chairs
Once I had these measurements I then set out design my seat around these dimensions. I designed the chair in 2D on AutoCad, and then took this and produced a finished 3D design.

2D Design with Measurements
3D Rendered Image


I feel that my CAD skills really helped me design and understand the construction of the chair, which would over wise be hard to visualize.  Finally I spent the rest of the week making a scale model         (5 to 1), by using the laser cutter and gluing it together.

All the parts laser cut out of plastic

The Finished Model

 I am now ready for the Easter break, where I will make the presentation, make a cutting list and order my materials.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.