Wednesday 2 November 2011

Hand Production Techniques - Lesson Eleven

This lesson was primarily used to sort out all the wood which was going to be used to create the carcase of the cupboard.

This wood had been ordered  and delivered, so all we had to do was mark any defects, cut it to length and plane a face and edge.

To begin I first used chalk to label the piece of wood with my name, and also any defects on any of the edges, so when I marked out my cabinet pieces there would not be any chips or dents.

Once I had marked out the the defects, I then cut it into length using the Radial Arm Saw.

Above: Radial Arm Saw

Finally I began to hand plane one face and an edge. To stop the wood from warping I also lightly planed the top service of the other side. I used a variety of hand planes, including a number 4, 5, and 7 jointer plane.

Above: Wood being planed to create a flat face


Although this was quite an easy task to understand, it took a long time, and A LOT of hard work, as I still haven't finished planing yet and will continue in tomorrows lesson. However I did hit a problem when I realised one corner was lower then the rest, which meant I have to plane the rest of the face to meet this corners height. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.