Thursday 29 September 2011

Hand Production Techniques - Lesson Three

In this lesson I made the Bridle Joint. This joint involved similar tools as the previous lesson, however there was also the Mortice Gauge. This was used to mark out thirds and mark out two lines equally on a piece of wood. I also learnt a new technique of sawing, which is shown in the image below:



Cutting this way allows you to cut much straighter, and with much more control of the saw and the cut.

I also learnt about how to set up and use a hand router. This is hand router or "Router plane", has a small cutting blade at a 90 degree angle, and allows you to smooth off joints and make sharp edges. This was much more accurate and quicker then using a chisel like I did previously, and was so useful I went and purchased my own second hand one.


Overall the joint went really well, however I quickly learnt to hold the Mortice Gauge tighter, as it kept jumping and following the grain. Also I had to pair down along the cutting line as it was to tight, so next time I will cut closer to the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.