Friday 30 September 2011

Hand Production Techniques - Lesson Four

In this lesson I learnt about all the different types of Mortice and Tenon joints, and I have listed a few below:


After learning about these types of joints, we then began to cut our own Haunched Mortice and Tenon joint. This is the joint I have found the hardest so far. I cut both the Mortice and Tenon which I believed to be a good joint, and chisel the excess away with a Mortice chisel, leaving about two mm one way, and then rotating the chisel and going back the other way. However once put together, the wood was not at a 90 degree angle, so I tried to correct this angle resulting in the joint becoming very loose, and defiantly needs working on!

However I did get my Lie-Nielsen saw today, and it made sawing much easier compared to the previous saws, and therefore have purchased a larger, cross cut saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.