Wednesday 7 March 2012

Machine Production Techniques - Lesson Nineteen

At the beginning of this week I decided to fit the veneered base, and glue the drawer together.

Above: Drawer clamped
I also cut a handle out using the laser cutter, and then used the bobbin sander to remove the burn marks. I used the remains of the piece to help use as a way to clamp the handle whilst gluing to stop it from bending with the pressure.

Above: Handle clamped and gluing

Above: Finished handle
 This lesson was spent shaping the profile on my table top. This was done with a shaped cutter and the table router. It was really easy to setup, and I think it is an aesthetic design.

Above: Router piece to make profile on table top

Above: Finished profile on edge

 I also spent time on getting the drawer to fit, this include altering one of the drawer runners as it was at a slight angle. I also shaped the back of the drawer so it is easier to slide into place. I also added a drawer stop to the back of the table so the it aligned the drawer front with a slight step. I reused some spare timber to minimise waste.

Above: Shaped drawer back
Above: Drawer stop
  Finally I fixed the tabletop to the frame. This was done by simply screwing it through the kicker rails, with two screws being fixed and two screws being in a slot to allow for movement in the tabletop.

Above: The tabletop fixings

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.