Wednesday 18 January 2012

Machine Production Techniques - Lesson Seven

Today lesson was spent cutting, fitting and gluing the drawers together. I first cut all the pieces for each drawer, and then fitted the fronts to each gap. 

Above: Fitting fronts to each gap
Once all the pieces were cut to the right length, I setup the router table to make all the grooves. However I cut grooves on some edges that didn't need them, so I had to cut them down, making the drawers smaller.

Above: Drawer with grooves and handle
Once I had grooved the drawers, I used a jig and the pillar drill to make the handles, and then clamped and glued them together. I tried to panel pin one of them, however all pins split the wood, and so I decided just to clamp them instead. Whilst the drawers were drying, I decided to cut and fit the hinge. This also included routering a groove so the box shut flush.

Above: Hinged together
I left the drawers to dry during the night, so will work on them when I get in tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.