Wednesday 11 January 2012

Machine Production Techniques - Lesson Five

We are back from Christmas, and carried on with the toolbox. The deadline is looming, as it has to be finished by the 19th, and I am know spending more and more time working on it. In this lesson I worked on a lot of things, and progress was fast.

I began by routeing out two grooves for a hardwood inlay, as this is where the hinge will be screwed into. I also marked out, cut and glued in where the biscuits would be by using a jig and a biscuit cutter.

Once I had done this, I was ready to do a dry test to make sure it fitted together, before I glued it.
Test dry fitting the toolbox carcass together
Clamping the toolbox up was quite a complicated task, so I got help from others around me. I added a couple of other clamps where the wood was slightly warped and not sitting correctly.

Toolbox clamped up ready for tomorrow
This means that the toolbox will be ready to be routed into two parts tomorrow, and that I can then start to create the shelves and dividers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.