Thursday 10 November 2011

Hand Production Techniques - Lesson Fourteen

Today was a slow day, where I completed one joint, and also made the divider so it fitted into the grooves.  I made the divider first, and this was just cutting it to the right size, which is shown below. this was quite easy, however I did have to sand it down and chisel the groove slightly larger to get it to fit correctly.

Divider cut ready to size
I then cut and fitted my first joint. This was a mitred dovetail, and was quite easy to get to fit. However I miss-cut one of the pins, which means that you can slightly see the groove from the outside. Also I learnt from videos on the internet how to get mitres to fit as tightly as possible by running a saw along the join, and then finishing the joint by tapping it together.

Mitre joint

Finished joint - Corner 1

Overall this lesson went really well, and now that I have done the first joint, it will be easier to do the other four corners.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave any feedback about this post or blog, please fill out this section.